Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ask and Receive

John 16:24 NIV

"Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete."

I was once told that my prayers disturbed a person because I did not say "in the name of Jesus" at the end of my prayers.  I was hurt and confused.  I thought I was okay but I was also still a young Christian.  So I started adding that phrase to every prayer in hopes of not offending anyone.  Then I came to a realization, Jesus does not listen to the correct form of prayer.  He listens to my heart.

Every time I pray I pray on His name - not with words but with the realization that He is my savior.  There is not any magical formula to prayer.  There are elements that I can include such as thanksgiving, supplication, and confession.  There are examples of prayer such as the Lord's prayer and John 17. 

Prayer is a vital part of faith.  Jesus was telling the apostles that a day was coming when He would not be present among them but because they choose to love Him, they could talk to God and God would answer.  Jesus went even further and said He would not ask on their behalf.  He was not the go-between or middleman.   Our love for Jesus and His love for us is enough to gain direct access to God the Father.  

There is joy in knowing we have unfettered access to God and not just because He answers our prayers.  God answers willingly those who love Christ - not like a vending machine.  When we love Jesus and when we follow His life example, we become more familiar with how to pray and for what to pray.  The more familiar we become with Jesus (also known as intimacy with God) the more we recognize how God answers prayer.  We recognize God's handwork.  

There is nothing wrong with saying "in the name of Jesus" as long as we realize it is not a magical incantation to get what we desire.  It is simply a reminder and acknowledgement that we belong to Christ.  Become more familiar with Jesus and His ways and see for yourself.

No comments: