Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Cry Out For Help

O Lord, you are my rock of safety
Please help me; don't refuse to answer me
For if you are silent,
I might as well give up and die.
Listen to my prayer for mercy
as I cry out to you for help,
as I lift up my hands toward your holy sanctuary.
Psalm 28:1-2 (NLT)

One of the hardest things to admit is when we need help. As a man, I confess to driving in circles numerous times hoping to hit the right street eventually because getting out to ask for directions can be arduous and... okay maybe embarrassing. At least that is how I used to find things. I have a generally good sense of direction.

Asking for help, however, seems to be an anomaly, mostly due to how we judge failure. John Maxwell says that failure should be seen not as a step backwards, as many people make it, but as a a chance to continue forward.

Asking for help is a big deal, especially when we would like to keep our issue "quiet". Finding the right person to help us, who we hope will remain discreet or will withhold judgment, is a mind boggling process.

This is what amazes me about King David. Here is a man that was the king of the most powerful nation in the world during his time. He fought ferociously and honorably. He was a problem solver and an ideal leader. Yet he was flawed. He sinned, raised contemptuous children, was dethroned by his own son, and faced numerous other problems and difficulties. He was human.

When you read the Psalms, you get a bigger picture of who King David was on the inside. He was frustrated at times and depressed during others. He rejoiced at victory and gloated over enemies. He was emotional and and dry. Yet, he was never ever afraid to ask for help.

David was sure of his help. As he says at the beginning of Psalm 28, he knew where he was safe - in the hands of God. He had faith in the power of God's protection and care. He knew that God loved him even after his many mistakes.

He placed so much trust in God that silence from God seemed for him as a death sentence. I know that feeling. Even as a minister I have struggled with faith issues and trust issues. I have grown cold in my faith and have also been rock solid. I know what David felt when silence seemed to be the answer from God.

I almost wanted to say, "How dare you God? How dare you be silent towards me?", as if I was a somebody or a something. In the eyes of God we are all important and beautiful, why would He answer with silence?

The problem was not in the silence but in how I was listening. God often chooses to answer us with a small still voice. He chooses to calm us so we can hear and not interrupt. Our problem is that we like to voice our frustrations completely before listening and which often cuts off any way of hearing from God.

Think about the last person you became totally angry with. How much time did you listen to them? How much effort did you want to put into silencing the voices within and hearing what the other person was saying?

God is so loving that He lets us voice our opinions, whether we are right or wrong. Not because He is wrong or unjust, but because when we are voicing our frustrations to Him, at least we are talking to Him. I wonder how He feels about our silence towards Him in our victories and in our defeats. I wonder if He feels the death pangs of the cross when people choose silence towards Him rather than speaking and listening to Him?

David knew God was his help. He knew God wants to help. In verse 2, David asks for God's mercy "as I lift my hands toward your holy sanctuary." David cried out for help and then lifted his hands towards God. Why?

I think there are two reasons. One, David was surrendering to the power of God with a show of hands lifted up. Lifting hands above the head has been an international sign of surrender. It shows the captor that we no longer pose a threat and surrender to the will of the more powerful.

I think another reason comes from a hint I found in Paul's first letter to Timothy:

I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting 1 Tim 2:8 (NKJV)

David was presenting his hands, the very hands he used everyday, and asking God to accept him with pure motives and through pure actions. Surrendering one's hands towards God is in essence asking God whether or not those hands represent pure conduct.

God honors pure and holy passions. He wants us to run obsessively towards Him. David knew this, and this is why David is called "God's beloved." David followed without regret towards God. David did not doubt his passion towards God.

You see, God isn't silent towards us. However, we are often silent towards Him, purposefully or accidentally. God has raised His voice in a whisper to draw us to Him. He is just waiting for us to quiet down enough to fully engage Him in His passion for us.

Do you feel God is silent towards you at times? Check out how you are listening, you may be amazed at how loud a small still voice really sounds.

No comments: