Thursday, May 30, 2013

At Your Weakest

Hebrews 4:15 NIV

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin."

Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others.  I was introduced to this word in a negative way in middle school.  My school was big on humanistic teaching which teaches students how to discover their own set of values - and you were discouraged from clinging to your parent's values.  Because I did not fall in line with this way of thinking, a teacher said I was unempathetic.

For a young Christian, I was devastated.  I had always been taught to care for others and their needs.  Now I was being chastised because I was not self-centered enough to express my own needs.  I never understood what the teacher wanted from me, but I do know I was not very good at identifying with the emotions of others.  

Jesus changed this for me in 1994 when I fully turned my life over to Jesus.  I began to see life differently and see people as Jesus sees them.  I even see Jesus differently.   Every struggle I encounter,  He has encountered.   Every temptation I face, He faced.  Every pain I suffer,  He suffered (try dying on a cross ... from what I hear, it's painful). 

Jesus did not sin.  This tells is that sin is a choice.  You sin because you want it.  But Jesus did not sin.  He understands what you are facing.  He knows the easiest path is to give up.

But through His strength, we can do all things.  We can stay strong and in control of our lives.  Sin is just an excuse to lose control.   However, sin robs your peace.  Don't give up.  You have a cheerleader in Christ who knows you and believes in you.  You are a lot stronger than you realize. 

At your weakest point, He is your strength.   Rest in Him, fight to keep control of your life, and be at peace.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Thank you for this encouragement today. Even the strongest of us become tired, weak, and defeated. Today's Word is an encouragement to me "not to grow weary." Blessings to you, Jean

Unknown said...

Keep plugging along, Jean. God is right by our sides.