Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Are You Satisfied?

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst." - 1 Timothy 1:15 NIV

If everything around your position, your job, your life came to a screeching halt, would you be satisfied with who you are?

Now I know this seems to be a weird question because most people would be genuinely upset.  Losing a job is not easy or fun.  Having life slap you in the face can be frustrating.  Not being what you were can feel emptying....

So I go back to the question.  Are you satisfied with who you are?  It is not a loaded question unless you struggle with titles, job identity, or social identity.

I struggled with this lately until I read an article that asked if I was satisfied with just being a Christian or was I stuck in my title as a pastor.  If I am not satisfied being just a follower of Christ, the basis of my faith, then being a pastor would never make me me.  My title is not who I am but just an acknowledgement of what I am doing. 

So I have been learning that just being a Christian is more than I need in my life because as the verse says, Christ came to save sinners not titles.  When I can accept that, then my title does not make me who I am...Jesus does.

What does this question mean to you?  How have you allowed your title to dictate who you are?  What do you need to change in order to be satisfied with you?  How does your position or title acknowledge what you are doing?

No comments: