Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Losing Battle

Mark 8:34-35 NIV

"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.'"

Have you ever had selfish ambition?   I do when I try to get my kids to choose a nicer restaurant than the fast food joints they choose.  I want something that will not give me heartburn.  So I manipulate their decisions ... I mean I encourage the value of their decisions with loving motivation ...

To follow Jesus, one has to push aside selfish desires or ambitions.   Following Jesus is not a ticket to the best seat in the house or an opportunity to achieve more power.   Following Jesus comes at a cost. 

This illustration by Christ helps us to see the seriousness of pursuing Him.  There is only a narrow, one-way path when being a follower.  This path can lead to our physical death.  It can lead us past those who will ridicule us.  It can lead past those who will look down on us.  The path when carrying a cross can seem lonely at times but when we look ahead we can see Jesus on the same journey.  He is leading us to salvation. 

Mark's Roman audience knew the path of those condemned to die as a felon.  Jesus takes away the shame of following Him.  Only those who choose to lay aside selfishness can fully grasp this thought.  One commentary says this is turning from being self-centered to becoming God-centered.

We cannot have real life without choosing to forfeit our own.  This is not self-loathing.  This is setting aside yourself long enough to let God into your life.  You will never be the same.  It will save your life.  To fight against the will of God is often a losing battle.  You can keep fighting it or you can be saved from the destruction that self-centeredness brings.  

My prayer for you today: Follow Jesus and have a fulfilled life.  Let me know what you think.

No comments: