Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How Short Is Life

We just started a new study in our Sunday school class using John Piper's book, Don't Waste Your Life.

It is kind of ironic that this book came to my attention. Lately, I have been struggling with more stomach pains and problems. I have undergone numerous tests and have another one tomorrow. The doctor's are trying to rule out cancer.

I have been assured that they feel that my problem has to do with some scar tissue I have in my esophagus. We shall see.

Since Friday's test, I have been doing a lot of reflection. Probably too much. My head likes to get the best of me. I have thought about all I have been involved with over the past ten years. I have pastored a church. I have been involved with various other ministries. I am currently a Christian education pastor.

But all of my accomplishments seem to pail in comparison to the blessings in my life. I have a fantastic wife. I have two wonderful children. I have numerous friends. And above all I serve an incredible God. I have lost that picture from time to time.

The study we are starting deals with seeking joy and pursuing God's glory. Piper asks if these are two different roads or can they be the same path. Of course, as Christians we should find joy in the pursuit of God. Unfortunately, too many people have a hard time differentiating between the two.

The problem with trying to separate the two is that many people choose seeking their own joy and essentially waste their life.

So this is what I have been reflecting upon for the past few days. How do you view your life? Do you wonder if you are using your time wisely in your pursuits? Do you have a hard time pursuing God and your means of joy?

In your generous love I am really living at last! My lips brim praises like fountains.Psalms 63:3 (MSG)

I want to be living at last. I want my lips to brim praises like fountains. I am excited about this study. But at the same time, I am struggling with trying to find answers to my internal problems. So please pray with me for healing. I feel so much more can be done with my life, especially after praying and reading this this morning:

Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.Prov 23:17-18 (NKJV)

No comments: