Friday, August 15, 2008

Please Pray

I do not know how many times I have heard that. "Please pray" shows people are (1) in desperation or (2) in hope.

No matter where it comes from, prayer is a powerful tool for Christians. Prayer calms us so we can hear from God. Prayer quiets our thoughts so we can adjust to God's principles. Prayer connects our spirit to the God. Prayer is key for seeing life fulfilled.

Unfortunately some people use prayer for their own purposes. They believe that if they desire it enough then God will surely answer that prayer. But what if that prayer is against everything God stands for:
You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way. You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."James 4:2-6 (MSG)

I am torn up inside. I watch college and career singles and married couples (18 to 35) throw away their lives for a taste of pleasure. I am uncertain about my ministry right now becuase no matter how hopeful I am about those I try to reach, I see them continue to "flirt " with things that displease God.

I want so badly to see this age group experience a true spiritual revival and I wonder if I have failed them somehow. No, I do not have a Messiah complex. I just want to be a more effective instrument, and feel I may be getting in the way of God.

Maybe I have not expressed God's perfect will. Maybe I am just kidding myself about sharing the one thing that made my life complete. Maybe my past experiences are not enough to know the hurt and the pain of those in my generation and in the newest one.

I lived that life and I can't come to terms in my spirit to let anyone else be devastated by it. Yet I seem to be failing in how I communicate. All I ask from God is to be the voice He wants me to be.

I don't want sin to continue to tear apart these lives. I cannot keep praying for things that are not God's will. I cannot pray that things will work out when God is left out of their decisions. I cannot and will not.

I am hurting so bad right now. I want to scream and cry and run. I see so many young people with so much potential who could change the world, if they would seek God with all their hearts. Yet they continue to do as the world and try to work things out on their own.

I don't know what else to do. I watch as young people who were once strong in Christ fall away from God. I do not know how to talk to them or approach them anymore.

I remember when I in high school. I left the church and started following my own desires. A pastor came to me and said I should get back into church. I know he meant well but I refused to listen. I wanted to run my own life.

That was the beginning of a long downward spiral for me. I found myself living among those whose drug use and alcohol abuse led them into all kinds of immorality. I know the powerful pull of sin because it pulled me into a gutter that I barely climbed out of.

I threw away thousands of dollars on habits that were more for maintaining my popularity (or should I say pseudo-popularity). The sad story: yes, I had friends as long as I was involved with sin. They felt better because the once Christian guy was doing what they were doing. I guess it made them feel better about themselves.

When I made the decision to follow God everything changed. My so-called friends abandoned me because I "wasn't like them anymore." They felt guilty around me, not because I made them feel guilty but their sins convicted them when I was around. It wasn't me but Christ showing through me.

I struggled with my new lifestyle and made it only becuase Jesus is what he says He is - a Savior. There are many times I tried to go back into my old life during that wonderful transformation in my life. I can only say that God fought for me everyday to stay strong in my new faith.

Maybe I became another boring Christian but it was all that kept me from falling into a lifestyle that would hurt me, those I love, and the others around me. I guess I get ticked off when others try to ruin the lives of those God loves, by their unfair characterizations about them.

I just don't know what else to say or do. I apologize if you came here today looking for something uplifting. But even James says:

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet. James 4:7-10 (MSG)

Other versions say that God will lift you up to your feet. Maybe that is where I need to be for a while, on my knees until something happens. I see so much potential. God please show me how to reach your people.

No comments: