Monday, January 21, 2008

The Hypocritical Face of Christianity

The hardest thing to be in this world is honest. Want proof? Who do we revere? Actors and musicians. People that cannot be real because of publicity and are criticized when they are.

Christians are quickly falling into this mold. We hold ourselves to certain standards and unfortunately, now we have an image problem. I am reading a book called unChristian. I am having to look at myself and deal with hypocritical issues within me. I do not want to be perceived as saying one thing while living another. In fact, having a relationship with Christ does not mean I have a strangle hold on morality.

One of the issues that the book brings up is that if you placed a born again believer alone in one room and someone who is not in a separate room, 3 out of 5 times you will not be able to tell the Christian from the non. Who we are when we are alone is who we still are in front of others - even if we try to keep things hidden.

I think we need to each step back, as believers, and critically examine our lives. How transparent am I about my faults? Can I have faults and still be a Christian? Is there a standard for living, or am I fine in how I approach life? I am too busy judging the lives of others while recklessly avoiding judgement for myself?

King David was one who did not waste words when he spoke with God. In Psalm 139 he said, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23, 24: NIV)

Another version says it this way:

Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong— then guide me on the road to eternal life. Psalms 139:23-24 (MSG)

I think I get the most sick about church when I go and feel as if I have to act "Christian", when I am hurting or lonely or just plain sinful. I do not want to go to church if it is my hospital where I feel that judgement awaits me.

I think I am guilty of speaking before I examine myself. I think I am guilty of speaking too much and not listening. I think I am guilty of acting Christian instead of being a Christian.

I am going to keep reading and revealing what I hope is God pricking my heart. I ask for forgiveness for being guilty but know I have faults and I still have a hope.

Let me know what you think. We aren't here to judge or be judged. Just to listen to each other and find answers together.

No comments: